10/06/2013

A Cafe Produced Bird Flavored Ice Cream
鳥カフェが発売した鳥の味がするアイス

Nowadays, bird cafe is a huge boom in Japan.
At the cafe, you can see various birds and even some places let you play with them.
The kind of birds are cockatiel, owl, eagle, Java sparrow, parakeet, budgerigar, and so many others.

One of the bird cafes in Hyogo prefecture produced 3 types of bird flavored ice cream.
Yes, bird flavored.
I had no idea what they'd taste like, so I did research in July or so.


I ordered when they opened an online shopping site in August, but they just said they didn't know when they'd be able to ship the ordered items, so I decided to go get the ice cream in Shibuya, where the bird cafe closed contract and as it's a department store, there's always plenty of stocks.

When we got to Seibu Shibuya around 4PM, there're a lot of ice creams of each kind.
I was glad they had stocks but also wonder they why the online shopping site can't ship items...

Anyways, the cooler box has the bird cafe name on it with bird characters.
And over the box, there're 3 little stands which have explanations of each flavor.

I took all the photos but as I'm writing a review of cockatiel ice cream here, I only use corresponding one here.
オカメインコアイス
「口を開けて寝ている時に、放鳥していたオカメインコが口に足を突っ込んだ時のような味。」
香ばしいナッツとフルーツの味が口の中いっぱいに広がります。

Translation; Cockatiel Ice Cream
"The taste is like your cockatiel accidentally put its leg in your mouth while you're sleeping with your mouth wide open."
Roasted nuts and fruits flavors will spread in your mouth.

This is the lid design.
You can see it's Lutino cockatiel easily as it's got yellow head and the cheeks are bright orange.
Also on the top right, there're 2 lines which look like the crown.

This is the ice cream. 
Looks like milk-flavored ice cream with a bunch of seeds and some yellow cube.
Removing the lid didn't bring any flavor so I guess it's really focusing on the taste.

This is a cube of ripe apple.
It was really sweet and the texture was similar to the apple compote in apple pie.

Pumpkin seed.
It had a good roasted flavor and chunky texture.

Sunflower seed.
It just tasted like sunflower seed but a little bit oily maybe?

This ice cream didn't have any cockatiel flavor I think.
If they hadn't have "cockatiel flavored ice cream," I'd not have thought of cockatiel at all.
It's like nuts and apple cubes in thin milk-flavored ice cream, which taste like frozen yogurt.

We have a Lutino cockatiel so I wanted to try putting her leg in my mouth but my husband stopped me with the reasons that she sometimes steps on her own poop.
It didn't really make me wanna stop experimenting, but I just decided not to do.
So, I can't tell if it really tastes like the description they wrote unfortunately.


Ingredients;
Dairy products, sugar, emulsifier, stabilizer (polysaccharide thickener), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and ripe apples.

Contents: 100ml
315 JPY (5% of tax included)



The lid and cup are both paper so you might wanna eat before it melts completely.
At the department store, they provide you a block of dry ice in a paper bag.
The amount of the dry ice they gave us seemed to last up to 30 minutes but the paper bag can't resist the heat so if you have a padded grocery bag and some refrigerants, I recommend you bring them with you to carry the ice cream home without letting it melt.



Seibu Shibuya Bldg. A / 西武 渋谷店 A舘
B1 floor, 1-21 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
東京都渋谷区宇田川町21-1 地下1階

Open: 10:00 AM ~ 9:00 PM (Mon. - Sat.)
            10:00 AM ~ 8:00 PM (Sun.)

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

0 comments :

コメントを投稿